Originated from Peru, green beans have created a great reputation when it comes to great effects on the health of individuals. For over thousands of years, human beings indulge on green beans not only because of the fact that it gives high levels of vitamins but also because of its satisfying taste. Green beans is commonly added to the daily diet of the communities across the globe.
Because of the popularity of green beans, there are a lot of food suppliers that produce canned goods nowadays. Due to the very high demand, green beans are grown in many countries across the globe. Despite the popularity as a garden plant, green beans is very prone to insect attack which affects productivity.
Below are some fun facts about green beans that will make you realize how good this vegetable is for the body especially when regularly consumed.
- The pride of green beans is that it is extremely rich in antioxidants. Its antioxidant capacity is very impressive that it came out on top in the entire pea and bean family. Studies concluded that green beans is very diverse in antioxidant content. The antioxidant traced from this vegetable vary. Antioxidants such as quertecin, kaemfrol, catechins, epicatechins, and procyanidins are extracted from green beans.
- Because of the color of green beans, it is unbelievably true that this vegetable is a very rich source of carotenoids. Aside from the vitamins and minerals that green vegetables usually contain, green beans is enriched with colorful pigments like lutein, beta-carotene, violaxanthin, and neoxanthin. Because of its natural green color, it is difficult to tell that green beans has carotenoid properties.
- If you buy green beans, it is normal that we aim for fresh produce. But did you know that even green beans that are canned can give the body essential amounts of vitamins and minerals? Thus, even if you cannot find fresh green beans in the market you can opt for canned green beans without compromising your diet.
- Did you know that indulging yourself with green beans also improves bone health? Green beans has high levels of mineral silicon which is a property that helps boosts connective tissue formation and bone health.
- The best way to cook green beans is to steam it for a recommended time of five minutes. This method of cooking will bring out the highest levels of vitamins and minerals that can be extracted from this vegetable. If you are after healthy eating, you can never go wrong with steamed green beans. Steaming green beans will also yield its best moisture and flavor.
- Green beans is very good for the heart. Due to its richness in antioxidants, it can pave away cardiovascular issues. Eating green beans regularly provides good blood fats and protects them from oxygen damage. If you want to live a heart healthy life, add green beans to your daily diet and make sure to eat the green bean pod. Studies have proved that this area of the green bean plant has the greatest effects on cardiovascular health.
Do you know that you can buy fresh cut organic green beans on Amazon?
Lazy to eat healthily: Why not invest in a good multivitamin instead?