Most of us know that it is essential to drink plenty of water for optimal health, but what may not be well-known is that the type of water we’re drinking plays a role in just how healthy we are. Yes, drinking six to eight glasses of water per day is necessary, but if you’re drinking tap water from the sink, you may be ingesting contaminants and particles that ultimately hurt the body. Thus, it is important to learn about what types of water are actually healthy for the body so that you can make the necessary changes for optimal health for yourself and your family.
Page Contents - Quick Links
What is in tap water?
You may think the water coming out of the sink is pure, but it’s not. Have you ever wondered just what is in that water that you drink from the tap? Let’s take a look at some ingredients:
- Chlorine. Yes, the chlorine that you smell when you go swimming is used to disinfect the tap water that you drink. This is why you may smell a tinge of chlorine odor when you smell your water or taste a bitter taste. Sure, there is just a smidge of chlorine in there, but even a little bit can be toxic to your body. Good news is that you can get a carbon filter that will decrease that chlorine by about 99 percent.
- Arsenic. Yes, there is a tiny bit of arsenic in tap water as well and arsenic is a known carcinogenic; a poison. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does have a limit on the amount of arsenic allowed in water at 10 ug/L, but there are still millions of Americans who are living in areas that have higher, unsafe levels of arsenic in their drinking water.
- Aluminum. With a trace of aluminum in tap water, you’re at higher risk of Alzheimer’s disease, hyperactivity, gastrointestinal disease, liver disease, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Fluoride. You may have heard that the small amount of fluoride in your water is good for the teeth, but actually, fluoride is a toxin that can lead to more cavities and a weakened immune system.
What about the water pipes?
Have you ever thought about the pipes that your water runs through to get from the water filtration system to your home? Sure, the water may have gone through a process to get clean, but much of the time it goes through dirty pipes before it reaches your glass. Consider water flowing through rusty pipes picking up tiny particles of rust, sand, and even dirt before getting to your home.
What sicknesses can occur from drinking too much tap water?
We’ve already mentioned sicknesses you can get from drinking a lot of tap water, but there is a lot of research that indicates that stomach illnesses are very common with about 1.1 million Americans getting acute stomach viruses each year due to tainted water in the community. According to microbiologist Mark Borchardt, PhD with the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service, the average person gets a stomach illness one or two times per year, but those that drink from water systems that aren’t disinfected can be 30 times more inclined to experience a stomach bug.
What are the health benefits of drinking filtered water?
The best thing you can do is to begin drinking filtered water over tap water, as filtered water removes most of the harmful toxins that can cause havoc on your cells. Why should you filter your water today?
- You’ll save your body from ingesting harmful toxins like chlorine, arsenic, aluminum, and fluoride
- Your cells will be getting what they need in order to produce at optimal level
- You’ll feel more energized instead of feeling sluggish and zapped
- You’ll feel better mentally knowing that you’re taking great care of your body
- Your skin will hydrate better
- Your body will detox better
- Your body will be able to absorb nutrients better
- It reduces the use of plastic (if you were drinking bottled water)
- It’s more affordable than buying plastic bottled water
- Filtered water tastes better
- It reduces the chances of you getting gastrointestinal disease
- It reduces about 2,000 toxins that your city water municipality may not be eliminating
- It’s better for the environment
What are the symptoms of dehydration?
If you’re not getting enough water, you could face dehydration, which occurs when your body does not get enough water due to losing more water than you take in. It’s essential for your body to get enough water to carry out basic functions adequately. According to the Mayo Clinic, mild dehydration has symptoms such as:
- Dry skin
- A dry mouth
- Lethargy or tiredness
- Less urine output
More severe dehydration symptoms include:
- Irritability, confusion, fussiness in children or infants
- Extreme thirsty
- Hot, but not sweating
- Extremely dry mouth and skin
- Very little or no urination
- Fast heartbeat and breathing
- Sunken eyes
- Lower blood pressure
- Delirium or unconsciousness at the most extreme level
Filtered water is the safest way to drink water
The body needs an abundance of water to perform optimally and the simple truth is that filtered water helps the body to get the most pure form of water it can get in order to do so. Making the investment in water filtration system is one of the best investments you can make, helping to improve you and your family’s health over a lifetime. The numerous benefits far outweigh the initial investment and your health is worth it all. If you’re on the fence on the subject, continue to do some research and learn about the benefits of filtered water and just how easy it is to make the switch from tap water. You’ll be glad you did.
Best Water Filter
Best Pitcher Water Filter
Best Faucet Water Filter
Appreciate Goods is all about sharing greatness, inspiring people and reminding readers to appreciate the little things. In short, we are all about spreading positivity. We live and breathe to make this world a better place to be in.