Teeth Whitening Products – Small Treatments – Big Rewards
Today rejuvenating solutions abound, so how do you go about choosing the right one? Most importantly, what do you need to take into consideration? Everyone of us sets goals – we want to change something about ourselves to improve our self-confidence. Among all the different rejuvenating treatments there are, teeth whitening has become a highly sought after anti-aging treatment.
Page Contents - Quick Links
- Teeth Whitening Products – Small Treatments – Big Rewards
- Noticing and Appreciating what you See
- Not Everyone’s Teeth will React to Whitening
- Types of Teeth Whitening
- Teeth Whitening brands apart for Crest
- Teeth Whiteners to Avoid
- Look out for dangerous ingredients
- We look at some of our favorite teeth whitening products
- Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips Dental Whitening Kit – 20 Treatments
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips Gentle Routine Teeth Whitening Kit – 28 Treatments
- Plus White 5 Minute Premier Speed Whitening Gel – 2.0oz
- Charcoal Teeth Whitening – natural – ‘Tuxedo’ Tooth and Gum Powder
- Smart Ash Organic All Natural Whitening Tooth Powder
- Professional strength teeth whitening strips 28 Count by Cammile Q – 14 day supply plus bonus shade guide
- LED Lights or Lasers probably won’t Whiten your Teeth any Faster
- Why you should visit your dentist before Buying a Teeth Whitening Product
- What happens if using a Teeth Whitener Hurts?
Noticing and Appreciating what you See
People tend to label each other, and crooked, yellow teeth are often viewed as a sign of not being groomed – of not looking after yourself. You can, however, change that perception. Your smile creates an immediate visual impact on people. Make sure that you have a bright, white smile to present to the world as it gives the impression of youth, attractiveness, and good health.
Obviously, the results you get with teeth whitening will depend on what your teeth were like when you started or how badly they were stained.
There are 2 types of teeth stains – intrinsic and extrinsic.
- Intrinsic stains start within the tooth and as we age our teeth yellow and the enamel wears away.
- Extrinsic stains are superficial stains caused by wine, tea, coffee etc.
a social asset…
Teeth whitening is a cosmetic treatment within most people’s budgets. This is good news as even according to an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry survey, an attractive, healthy smile is looked upon as a social asset, a ticket to land your first relationship and even to get a good job.
Not Everyone’s Teeth will React to Whitening
Tooth whitening removes stains. There are quite a few reasons why teeth become discolored in the first place:
- tobacco use
- certain foods and beverages
- certain medications
- genetics which determines the color of your teeth
- the aging process
Not everyone’s teeth will respond well to whitening, and the best candidates for teeth whitening are those who have healthy teeth and gums.
Even children showing an interest…
Certainly, teeth whitening is being seen more often among children and teens. A positive self-image is important, and some kids as young as 8 are looking at cosmetic treatments. Dentists however only suggest teeth whitening to those young people who are finished with their orthodontic treatment and wisdom teeth extractions. They say that it isn’t recommended to whiten the teeth before the enamel of the permanent teeth is completely mature.
People with allergies, sensitive teeth as well as receding gums should first consult with their dentist before looking to whiten their teeth. Those with gum disease are discouraged from undergoing a tooth whitening procedure. Cavities would have to be treated before undergoing any whitening procedure.
Types of Teeth Whitening
There are various ways to whiten your teeth. The most common ways are in-office treatments and do-it-yourself treatments which are available over the counter from your pharmacy. We look at the two ways
- Professional tooth whitening in a dental office – Your teeth can be transformed in a single office visit. Your dentist will explain teeth whitening issues such as tooth sensitivity and how to manage it. Tooth whitening in-office can last for many years depending on how well you take care of your teeth and also whether you follow up with home whitening products.
- Over-the-counter products – these commercially available tooth whitening products are popular because they are an inexpensive way towards whiter teeth. These products include whitening strips, mouth trays with gel, whitening pens, paint-on tooth gel & whitening toothpaste.
Teeth Whitening brands apart for Crest
These products all promise to whiten your teeth, and while manufacturers place whitening agents in strips, polishes, and gels, you need to know that the use of some of these bleaching products come from companies who are suspected of producing scam products. There is little to no regulation in the field of tooth whitening, so prior to buying, know who’s selling you the product.
Teeth Whiteners to Avoid
There is a mind-boggling array of teeth whitening products to choose from. There are many scams too which make magical claims and deliver nothing. This is what you need to be wary of – parting with money that yields nothing. These teeth whitening products cost anything between $5 to as much as $200 at a bleaching kiosk. These bleaching kiosks are mostly unregulated. You’ll find them in shopping malls, cruise ships and at the airport. They’re fun, holiday inspired tools which don’t make any much of an impact.
Look out for dangerous ingredients
- Silica: often found in whitening toothpastes which scratch away tooth enamel causing irreparable teeth damage
- Polyethylene: used as a binding agent – research has been done and it has been shown that this ingredient leads to toxicity when used on broken skin
We look at some of our favorite teeth whitening products
Below are some of our favorites teeth whitening kits that do not contain harmful ingredients and have a high percentage of success.
Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips Dental Whitening Kit – 20 Treatments
- you have to use this professional-level tooth whitening product once a day for 30 minutes
- removes 14 years of staining
- you’ll get at least 12 months of enjoying your pearly whites
- comes with Advanced Seal Technology which allows you to talk and also sip water while the treatment is underway
- no-slip grip means the strip stays put until you take them off
- when used as directed, it is safe and effective
- some ingredients – water, hydrogen peroxide, PVP, PEG-8, acrylates copolymer, sodium hydroxide and sodium saccharin – similar ingredients to what your dentist uses
Crest 3D White Whitestrips Gentle Routine Teeth Whitening Kit – 28 Treatments
- people love knowing that they only need to use this product 5 minutes a day – this treatment is a gradual process
- specially formulated for those teeth which are particularly sensitive to tooth whitening
- comes with enamel-safe ingredients – the same ingredients your dentist uses
- some ingredients – water, hydrogen peroxide, glycerin, carbomer, sodium hydroxide, sodium saccharin
- wonderfully easy to use – peel white strips from backing, apply to surface of teeth
Plus White 5 Minute Premier Speed Whitening Gel – 2.0oz
- one step bleaching gel which starts to work within 5 minutes – you’ll start seeing whiter teeth within 10 days
- leave on teeth for 15-20 minutes for badly stained teeth
- typical ingredients include hydrogen peroxide, water, glycerin, peg-60 hydrogenated castor oil, flavor, potassium stannate, ammonium hydroxide etc
Charcoal Teeth Whitening – natural – ‘Tuxedo’ Tooth and Gum Powder
- no synthetic additives, foaming agents or preservatives
- ingredients – organic orange peel extract, natural bentonite clay, organic mint extract
- you need to use for 30 days to see results – comes in a 34gr jar which lasts for months
- no chemicals are involved – this is natural teeth whitening for sensitive teeth
- comes with tooth benefits such as strengthens enamel while promoting healthy teeth and gums
- you use this powder in place of your regular toothpaste – use once or twice a day – dip your moist toothbrush into the powder, brush for 2 minutes. Rinse and brush again to remove all remaining powder
Smart Ash Organic All Natural Whitening Tooth Powder
- this powder by Bedrock & Bloom won’t only whiten your teeth, but desensitize them too.
- this product is non-abrasive while safely removing stains
- fights bacteria and gingivitis – polishing teeth and preventing tooth decay
- the product is fluoride free, hydrogen peroxide free and doesn’t have any artificial dyes or flavors.
- it is 100% pure, Its organic mint extract soothes the gums and also eliminates bad breath
- some ingredients – natural products such as certified organic frankincense, orange peel extract, bentonite clay, organic mint extract
- dampen toothbrush, dip bristles into powder, gently brush your teeth for 2 minutes, rinse and brush again to remove all residue
Professional strength teeth whitening strips 28 Count by Cammile Q – 14 day supply plus bonus shade guide
- Results in 14 days
- no mouth trays, gels or pens – just whitening strips for upper and lower teeth which are easy to apply
- enamel safe
- 6% hydrogen peroxide
- leave on teeth for 30 minutes and then rinse mouth
LED Lights or Lasers probably won’t Whiten your Teeth any Faster
LED lights or lasers use a high-intensity bleaching gel process. The active ingredients in the gel – carbamide & hydrogen peroxide – are broken down as the light, oxygen and heat work to whiten the teeth. The process takes about 30-minutes. The process requires two 15 minute applications to allow for maximum gel concentration and light exposure.
The amount of whitening varies with each client, but teeth lighten anywhere from 6 to 12 shades. The affects from this bleaching process should last from 6 months to a year, depending on your lifestyle habits such as drinking red wine, eating staining-foods such as berries and smoking.
The teeth whitening process was designed to enhance the natural whiteness of the enamel, but there are clients who tell of how it has even whitened their veneers and dentures. Laser treatments can be very expensive. They can cost $500 and only lasts for about a year or so.
When you do research, you’ll discover that some over-the-counter products have results that are as quick as these laser treatments. In fact, you’d have to look far and wide to actually find any clinical evidence which suggests that laser whitening is faster or better than tray whitening.
Why you should visit your dentist before Buying a Teeth Whitening Product
Millions of people suffer from dental discoloration but today they have a host of effective teeth whitening options. Even though teeth whitening is a low-risk procedure and it is suitable for most people, it is wise to visit a dentist before you buy any teeth whitening products.
Always have a consultation with your cosmetic dentist before attempting any teeth whitening. Your dentist will examine your teeth and gums to determine your candidacy for treatment. This is important if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a treatment which won’t work for you. A reputable, reliable dentist will want to help you towards getting good results without breaking the bank.
What happens if using a Teeth Whitener Hurts?
Not everyone suffers from pain after dental whitening but there are some people who do endure considerable pain after the bleaching procedure. Most times this pain diminishes after 24 hours. Dentists in any case always recommend pain medication before and after the treatment. In rare cases when the pain doesn’t subside and the teeth are too sensitive, further bleaching is discouraged for a while.
Sensitivity can occur during and after the use of peroxide-based bleaching agents and is influenced by higher concentrations and also longer contact time with the bleaching product.
Other side effects can involve pulp sensitivity. Sensitivity of the teeth and gums is mainly temporary but it may be a good idea to:
- use a lower concentration of whitening product
- avoid whitening for an extended period
- use bleaching products with added desensitizing agents
It’s not enough to get your teeth whitened the first time and then just assume that they will stay white indefinitely.
No matter how good a whitening kit may be, practicing good oral hygiene is the key to having strong, healthy and white teeth. The way to make sure your teeth and gums stay healthy is by brushing and flossing every day and regularly visiting your dentist.
As mentioned, the best candidates for teeth whitening are those who have healthy teeth and gums in the first place.
Appreciate Goods is all about sharing greatness, inspiring people and reminding readers to appreciate the little things. In short, we are all about spreading positivity. We live and breathe to make this world a better place to be in.