Is it good to shampoo your hair every day?
Humans are known for using too much of a lot of things, and shampoo and conditioner are not exceptions. Americans average more than six showers per week, uses shampoos four times per week and Mexicans average nearly eight showers and shampooing more than six times per week, according to this datagraphic about global bathing habits that was compiled by Euronomic in 2014. Of the countries sampled, India and France shampooed the least often with an average slightly greater than twice per week.
How frequently you should shampoo your hair depends on a number of factors, including the texture and thickness of your hair, your exercise habits and even your geographic location. For example, someone who lives with high humidity and sweats a lot from heat or regular physical activity will need to wash their hair significantly more often than someone who lives somewhere with low humidity and is not physically active on a regular basis. However, even with all of these factors taken into consideration, we believe there are very few instances in which a person would need to apply shampoo and conditioner on a daily basis.
- Best Dry Shampoo – Our Top 8 Dry Shampoo Recommendations
- Best Hair Loss Prevention Shampoo – Hair Loss Management Made Simple
Is it recommended to use shampoo more than once per day?
Shampooing more than once per day is typically not recommended. Shampoo is useful and effective when used in the correct amount and only as needed, but excessive shampoo use can actually do more harm than good to your hair.
Washing your hair more often than is necessary can cause your hair to be stripped of the natural oils and proteins that play an important role in keeping both your scalp and hair healthy.
Not only does a lack of these oils and proteins affect scalp and hair health, it also affects hair appearance – hair that contains less of these oils and proteins is more likely to become frizzy and unmanageable.
Which is more important? To wash your hair or your head (scalp)
A clean scalp is more important than clean hair for a number of reasons.
In fact, failing to properly wash your scalp can negatively affect your hair’s appearance and cause it to grow at a slower rate.
Many experts have likened the epidermis on your scalp to the layer of topsoil that is crucial for landscaping and gardening. They say that a healthy, clean scalp facilitates hair growth in the same way that a healthy, nutrient-rich topsoil layer facilitates plant growth.
Tips to keep your hair clean and healthy at all times
Use fewer hair products.
If you’re using a long line of hair care products on a regular basis and you’re unhappy with the results you’re getting, try cutting back on the number and amount of products in your hair care routine. Using too many products simply adds more residue and gunk to your hair, which causes it to look and feel even more greasy, and some products also contain harmful chemicals. Refer to this article for a list of some of these harmful chemicals and the ways they can negatively affect your hair’s health.
Lather and rinse, but don’t repeat.
The shampoo bottles and some commercials made you think you have to repeat the cycle, but it’s not too late to break this habit. One dose of shampoo and conditioner is more than enough for each hair washing session, and using more than that just adds extra residue to your hair without actually making it cleaner or healthier.
Look but don’t touch!
People who constantly play with their hair throughout the day might be completely unaware that they’re actually adding to the amount of oil that’s already in their hair. Your fingers, are oily and running them through your hair only serves to make them more greasy. Make an effort to kick this habit to the curb, and if you ever find yourself running your fingers through your hair, stop! It’s not as cool as you think!
- Wash your hair the correct way (see below)
How to properly shampoo your hair
Believe it or not, a lot of people don’t know the proper way to wash their hair in order to maintain a clean scalp and healthy hair.
- You’ll need to thoroughly rinse your hair before you apply any products to it. The warmer the water the more your cuticle will open and the more dirt and product residue you’ll be able to remove, but no need to burn yourself.
- When your hair is wet from scalp to end and everywhere in between, grab your shampoo. Before you apply your shampoo, however, beware of using too much. The average recommended amount is a dollop equivalent to the size of a quarter, though we have acknowledged that people with especially thick or especially long hair may need to use more.
- When you’ve got just enough shampoo in your hand, you’re ready to apply it. Start by massaging the shampoo into your scalp first, and pay extra attention to the lower back portion of your head where it meets your neck. You should also be sure to massage the shampoo into your scalp gently. Doing so in an aggressive manner can loosen your hair cuticles and contribute to frizzy hair, flyaways and other undesirable characteristics.
- Rinse the shampoo out of your hair and squeeze out some excess water. You can then apply your conditioner to the middle and ends of your hair only. Conditioner is more effective when it soaks into your hair longer, so save rinsing the conditioner out of your hair until the very end of your shower for the best results.
- Lastly, turn the water temperature to the cold setting and thoroughly rinse your hair and wash off the conditioner. Switching to colder water at the very end of your shower will close your cuticle in the same way that hot water opened your cuticle in the first step, and it will help to seal in your hair’s shiny, healthy top layer.
Important Read: Hot Vs Cold Shower – Which is Better?
How to know what kind of shampoo to use and which are the ones that are right for your hair type
Like many things, shampoo is not a one-size-fits-all product.
Most hair can be broken down into the following texture categories:
To determine which type of hair you have, start by pinching a single strand of your hair between your fingertips. Those with fine hair will not feel anything between their fingertips, whereas those with medium hair will be able to feel the strand and those with coarse hair will feel a larger, thicker strand than those with medium hair.
After you’ve determined your hair texture you should consider any other characteristics your hair might have and keep them in mind while selecting your shampoo and other hair products. Chances are your hair belongs to one or more of the following categories:
- Oily hair is quite common and requires more frequent washing. Those with oily hair should choose clear shampoos rather than those that appear creamy or solid in color. Avoid hair products containing proteins as this will only add more residue and oil to your hair.
- Dry or damaged hair can occur for a number of reasons, such as applying too much heat to your hair, failing to protect your scalp from the sun and washing your hair too frequently or with harmful products. If you suffer from dry or damaged hair, look for products containing pure coconut oil or Argan oil to return your hair to fight off breakage and frizz while returning your hair to its natural shine.
- Color-treated hair looks best when washed with shampoos that are specifically formulated to preserve hair color. Popular products for color treated hair include ingredients like Keratin, Vitamins C and E, Obliphica oil, coconut oil, grapefruit extract, Galanga root and more. However, consider that different shampoo formulas cater to different color tones.
Top Shampoo Recommendations
Below is a list of our favorite and top recommended shampoos. We spent countless of hours planning, crafting, and testing. Finally, we are very satisfied with the results of these shampoos that we recommended below.
Bookmark this page for your future reference.
Best Shampoo for Normal to Dry Hair
Price when reviewed: $49.00
To maintain a beautiful and vibrant hair color, this shampoo by Oribe is a must try. It aims to keep the hair healthy, lively, and very naturally looking with your chosen hair dye. It is inevitable for the hair to get damaged after coloring or highlighting. With this ultra-moisturizing and repairing shampoo, you can keep your crowning glory nourished even after a series of hair salon services. Keeping your hair conditioned is achieved given the ultra-hightech ingredients that this shampoo contains.
Price when reviewed: $31.48
If you are after a day-to-day shampoo that will have a salon-like impact on your hair, you should consider this casual wear hair product by Davines. You will experience a different vibe given the bounce and fragrance this product can cause. This will leave your hair manageable and perfect for trying out different hairstyles. It doesn’t dry out plus it keeps your hair smelling good all day.
Price when reviewed: $18.43
This shampoo by Aveda is perfect if you have a normal hair and what you are aiming for is gentle cleansing. This product is extracted from natural ingredients. No need to worry about harsh chemicals that can cause damage to your hair. This one also has a cooling effect on your scalp. It will keep your scalp clean and healthy. Out of all hair products from this brand, this one lathers best. It has a great smell that stays all day. It has a higher price tag but you really get what you paid for.
Best Shampoo for Oily Hair
Price when reviewed: $13.94
Having a naturally oily and greasy hair is a scenario that you would want to give immediate remedy. Oily and greasy hair can lead to various hair and scalp problems such as itchiness and dandruff. If you are experiencing such, this hair product by Tru Moroccan can be very good for you. Extracted from natural ingredients, this shampoo gently battles oily and itchy scalp. It eliminates excess sebum and prevents its build up. This effectively cleanses your hair at the same time keeps your strands moisturized. The fact that it comes with amazing smell is also a huge plus.
Price when reviewed: $17.77
Designed to provide remedy to those who are suffering from oily and greasy scalp, this shampoo has proven to be extremely effective. Its all-natural ingredients work perfectly together to combat excess sebum and its build up in the scalp. Oily scalp can lead to dandruff and itchiness. Who wants that? If you want quick and guaranteed results to your hair issues, this shampoo by Degrease will not fail you. It contains French cypress for oil control, lemon for effective cleansing, rosemary for cell renewal and hair growth, Jojoba and Argan Oil for scalp maintenance, and botanical keratin for battling damage. Each ingredient works together to achieve a beautifully healthy hair.
Price when reviewed: $18.52
Finding a single shampoo that brings smoothness, volume, conditioning, strength, and polish altogether is not impossible. This hair care by Living Proof is perfect for women who aims to have a perfectly looking, bouncy, and healthy strands. It keeps your scalp clean and healthy at the same time eliminates excess oil to have a fresh and irresistibly attractive hair. This shampoo will keep your hair healthy even if you are consistently getting salon services. It protects your hair from heat damage. This hair product is worth a try if you dream of having a manageable and healthy hair.