‘Come on – join the latest fun fashion!’ This is what my friends and family keep saying to me when they see me battling with my cell phone to get a decent sound. I love music and they tell me that with a Bluetooth speaker, I’ll get superior sound quality from my smart phone. They even cheekily suggested that by using a pair of Bluetooth powered speakers with my computer I could do away with my desktop clutter!
I wasn’t convinced – I didn’t want another gadget in the house, but they said I wouldn’t need a lot of space to enjoy loads of sound. ‘Just give it a try’ they said, ‘you’ll marvel at the rich bass sounds’. I was swayed and decided to put their ravings to the test – but not before at least doing some research.
Page Contents - Quick Links
I discovered that there are numerous choices, small and large, priced high and low and to suit any need. Since it was implemented in the late 90s, there have been numerous updates that have expanded Bluetooth’s capabilities. When I started looking at Bluetooth speakers I must say I was impressed with the innovation involved – lots of trendy designs in colors to match every mood, personality, fashion and decor. It seems the best Bluetooth speaker is simply the one you consider best. I thought of my lifestyle:
- I’m always on the go so portability and compactness would be an absolute must
- what distance range would work best?
- what features would I need?
- what color and shape would suit me – I wanted some away from drab black or grey
- what kind of sound quality would meet my needs?
- most importantly, what was I willing to spend?
With these basic questions in mind, I was ready to start my search. It’s mind boggling what’s out there, but I eventually narrowed down my search to 5, and thought I would share with you some basic findings with each one. Some, like the first one, just appealed to me the moment I saw it, so it’s number one on my list.
- cool colors – purple, orange, green, grey, blue and pink
- nice and compact – dimensions – 2.8 x 2.5 x 2.8 – weighs just 9.6oz
- on/off switch
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- up to 4 hours of sound play
- wireless up to 30 feet away – you can pair it with any Bluetooth-enabled device – cell phones, laptops and tablets
- USB to micro-USB cord compatible
- line-in connector allows a wired connection to compatible players for playback options
- warranty – 1 year
- price -sale price of $19.99
- 4.5 star rating out of 5, 96% customers loved it. Customers say they’re happy with the good base sound and crisp sound quality. When it is not in use, it automatically switches off.
- lightweight – only 4.1oz. Dimensions – 3.9 x 4.7 x 0.7
- FM transmitter built in
- connects with Bluetooth 2.1 to all compatible devices
- charge via USB
- 2 microphones and 3 speakers in the device
- on/off switch
- price – $71.29
The Jabra FREEWAY is made specifically for your car. Its a speaker phone which can also play music with its virtual surround sound. Hands-free talking feature – legal for driving. With voice recognition, you simply use your voice to make and receive calls. Can also connect to two different Bluetooth devices at the same time. Sound quality is superb.
- battery charge time – 3.5 hours – 6000mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery – rechargeable via USB
- 2 x 5 watt amplifier
- 12 hours of power
- LED indicator
- connects with micro USB cable, USB adapter
- 2 JBL drivers – 1-5/8”
- waterproof design
- price -$149.99
Attractive shape and size. The name ‘Charge’ is because it can be used as an external charger for other devices. Its built-in bass port distinguishes it from other speakers. I notice that there is also a more expensive JBL speaker – the Xtreme Portable Bluetooth Speaker for $299.99. You can have fun with this next to the pool as its splash-proof. I took note that these JBL speakers get 4.8 star ratings out of 5 and they certainly look sleek and attractive at first glance.
- awesome sound due to the Enhanced Bass Resonator
- attractive aluminum finish – weighs just 6.88 ounces
- hands-free calling
- compact size – take with you anywhere
- charge it and it can go for 7 hours
- connect to Bluetooth enabled devices. For non-Bluetooth devices, connect via 3.5mm audio jack
- price – $23.99. Sale price is $18.99 and sometimes even $15.99
While Bluetooth speakers shouldn’t be something you buy on impulse, people can’t be blamed for doing just that with this speaker. Its a small speaker, but with a big sound. Small and compact, you can take it with you wherever you’re headed, and the built-in microphone means you can take advantage of a hands-free video chat or phone call.
After researching these Bluetooth speakers, I somehow found this EasyAcc Mini Portable one of the most fascinating. All Bluetooth speakers certainly don’t look alike, and beneath their exteriors, you can learn about some amazing technological differences which will dramatically affect your listening pleasure. Just look at the Blue LED light Energy Cube Bluetooth Speaker for instance, also from EasyAcc. It’s got such an interesting shape and has blue embedded LED lights. Described as an Energy Cube Bluetooth speaker, it offers you an alluring visual-audio experience. Cute, tiny and vibrant, with its built-in battery you get 4~5 hours of listening pleasure with a wireless connection of up to 10 meters. But I’m not talking about this interesting speaker, but their other fascinating one – the EasyAcc Mini Portable 3W 500mAh.
For starters, I did just a little research on the company – EasyAcc. I always like looking at a company’s website as this give me an idea of what they’re about. I like simplicity, so I liked that they stipulate that they don’t go in for unnecessary add-ons, making sure they don’t compromise on quality, though. Their mission it seems is to provide their customers with simple, quality products that are affordable.
What I love about this speaker, is that at $13.95, the average man-on-the-street can afford it. It works with all Bluetooth-enabled devices – computers, iPhones, iPod, music devices etc. Some people get a bit irritated that it doesn’t have a music shuffle feature and that it will only play your music in the sequence they were placed on the card. I keep thinking of the low price and I’m more than satisfied not to have this feature. I can’t afford anything more expensive and am just grateful to enjoy such incredible sound. You can’t hope to get all the features of a $300 unit, and for the price its worth it. Its gets a good star rating and I can completely recommend this nifty little speaker to anybody looking for affordability and portability.
Audio technology has made fantastic strides, and while Bluetooth speakers depend on many variable factors which can have a radical effect on quality, in this particular case, cheap doesn’t mean less. This well-adjusted speaker will give you wonderful listening pleasure.
Some features of this stylish petite speaker
- color -Titanium Black
- model – P6697
- dimensions – 5.7 x 2.9 x 3.4 inches. Weighs 12oz
- 3W 500mAh Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker with microphone – receive voice calls hands-free
- small, compact and very portable – you can even put it in your pocket
- rechargeable lithium battery – 4 to 5 hour of playtime – recharge from lap- or desktop or powered USB hub
- charging cable included – charged with Micro USB cable
- offers a wireless connection of up to 10 meter
- insert audio cable to receive FM signal
Such a great little unit. You get the:
- Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- Micro USB charging cable
- 3.5 mm stereo audio cable
- a user manual
Only thing I found a bit irritating was that the volume button is the same one you use to look for songs. They should be separated, but being one of the least expensive bluetooth speakers you can buy, I’m reluctant to say anything bad about it.
How I’ve Determined which is the Best Bluetooth Speaker
- I’m an avid hiker so the Bluetooth speaker I’ve chosen, apart from my EasyAcc Mini Portable one is the JBL Charge. I call it my ‘roughing it’ speaker because its been designed to resist water as well as impact, so its my companion on all my adventures.
- Audio quality is next on the list and of course, it needs to perform for long periods. With 12 hours of power, my JBL Charge can see me through a day of hiking.
- Help & Support – my 2 Bluetooth speakers both provide support which is important to me. I need to rely on expert advice as well as an excellent after-sales service. I want to know if I’ve got a problem with either one, I can contact the rep by phone or even via a chat service. You’ll certainly want decent, user-friendly brochures accompanying your speaker.
What makes a Good Bluetooth Speaker for my Lifestyle?
I’m one of these people who wakes up with a burst of energy, and the weekends are always full – lounging around the pool, a walk in nature or a day at the beach. For me, a rugged portable speaker that’s been designed with a bit of rough and tumble in mind is what I would always look for.
An outdoor Bluetooth speaker is bound to have to stand up to the elements at some time so I’d want my Bluetooth to be tightly sealed and well reinforced. I’d certainly be looking out for durability claims from the speaker’s specs. I’d want to see a high rating in the IP scale against water as well as a drop-test certification for impact resistance. These IP ratings indicate the speaker’s resistance level to water and dust.
I just need to know that wherever I am, I can be surrounded with high-fidelity sound without having to worry about a finicky speaker that succumbs to a bit of roughing-it.
Ultra portable and weighing in the region of just 12oz, size and portability are what make a good Bluetooth speaker. After all, you’re looking for a convenient way to listen to music away from your computer or car. How cool it is to listen to music with a portable speaker that simply links wirelessly to your cell phone. Of course, speaker size and power matter too, but for their weight class, my JBL Charge and EasyAcc Mini Portable delivers the right volume and both can more than hold their own against other units.
When it’s time to buy your Bluetooth, you’re going to be overwhelmed by the sheer variety of Bluetooth speakers on the market. Think of the lifestyle you lead. If you’re a party animal you’re certainly not going to be looking at the EasyAcc Mini Portable, that’s for sure. You’ll be wanting something like the ION Audio’s Block Party Live which is a 50-watt speaker with a long-lasting rechargeable battery. This sort of speaker guarantees music and lights all night long. The colored lights even flash in time with your music.
This is no portable speaker – it weighs in at 26.20lbs and is also rigged up with a microphone cable for karaoke. There are lots of other typical party features, making it an excellent choice for any event where you require a powerful speaker system.
Choosing the ideal wireless speaker means you can expect performance, portability, and convenience. Make sure that your Bluetooth speaker comes with the right battery life. The best batteries can last for about 14, 15 hours without needing a recharge. Maybe you want to look at a speaker that doubles as a battery bank?
You want a speaker that offers you all the features that blend in with your particular lifestyle. The latest models connect to your home Internet network over a wi-fi connection. Wi-fi enabled speakers can be synchronized to form a multi-room speaker system – when they come from the same brand.
What I love about Bluetooth speakers is that there aren’t these major installation issues to contend with and you don’t have to be a sound engineer to use them. In the space of a few seconds they’re connected and you’ve got all your fave music to start enjoying.